Dutch cuisine is known for its simple and hearty dishes, often made with ingredients like potatoes, cheese, and meats like bacon and sausage (but for Vegans there is also a lot of great food out there… check out our post about the Best Vegan Restaurants in Amsterdam) . Amsterdam, as a cosmopolitan city, has a wide variety of cuisines from different parts of the world. Here are the top 6 restaurants in Amsterdam, in no particular order:
- De Kas: Located in a greenhouse, De Kas grows many of their own herbs and vegetables which they use in their modern Dutch cuisine. The menu changes daily depending on what’s fresh and in season.
- BAK: BAK focuses on sustainable, organic food and serves a mix of traditional Dutch dishes and modern, international cuisine. They also have a bakery where they make their own bread and pastries.
- De Silveren Spiegel: This restaurant is located in a beautiful, historic building and serves traditional, French-inspired Dutch cuisine. The interior is elegant and sophisticated, making it a great choice for a special occasion.
- Happyhappyjoyjoy: This Asian fusion restaurant serves a mix of dishes from different parts of Asia, including Japan, China, and Thailand. The colorful, lively atmosphere makes it a fun place to go with friends.
- Rijks: Located in the Rijksmuseum, Rijks serves modern Dutch cuisine with a focus on local, seasonal ingredients. The restaurant has a beautiful interior, with high ceilings and large windows that let in plenty of natural light.
- De Belhamel: Located in a beautiful canal house, De Belhamel serves modern, French-inspired cuisine. The restaurant has a romantic, intimate atmosphere, making it a great choice for a date night.
As you can see, Amsterdam has a wide variety of restaurants that offer a mix of traditional Dutch cuisine and international dishes. Whether you’re looking for hearty, traditional fare or something more exotic, you’re sure to find something to suit your tastes in Amsterdam.